So I realized that I love cream cheese…with everything. Savory dishes, desserts, appetizers, breakfast…on a spoon? no? too gross?
Anyways, I love cream cheese danishes and their even better with strawberries. It’s hard to find this delicious combo at bakeries so I set out on a mission to make my own strawberry cream cheese danishes.
Here’s how what I did and boy oh boy, it was so freakin good!
1 package of puff pastry dough (2 sheets)
1 – 8 oz package of cream cheese
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tbsp of greek yogurt
1 tsp of vanilla
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp of lemon zest
1 tbsp of flour
8 heap tbsp of strawberry preserves
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
an egg and some milk beat together for an egg wash
1. Mix the cream cheese, sugar, greek yogurt, egg, lemon zest, flour and vanilla in a bowl with an electric mixer and set aside
2. On a floured surface, unfold that pastry dough and roll out to make a 10 inch x 10 inch square
3. Cut the square into 4 smaller squares
4. Scoop 2 heaping tbsp of cream cheese mixture in the center of each square
5. Scoop 1 heaping tbsp of strawberry preserve on top of cream cheese mixer
6. Fold 2 opposing corners on top of each other over the strawberry cream cheese layers
7. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, brush each with egg wash, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 400 degrees.